- Incredible India
- Special Places
- Mini Itineraries
- Indian Journeys
- Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh
- Indian Highlights
- Classic India
- Beyond the Golden Triangle
- North Indian Highlights
- Rajasthan Explorer
- Rajasthan in Style
- Rajasthan Safari
- Amongst the Maharajas
- Wildlife of India
- Amritsar, Dharamsala & Rajasthan
- North India in Style
- Himalayan Frontiers
- Frontiers of India
- An Introduction to Kerala
- South Indian Highlights
- South Indian Adventure
- Hills & backwaters of Southern India
- About Us
- Contact Us
Ladakh & Himachal Pradesh
Day 1: DELHI
Arrive in Delhi where you are met and transferred to your hotel. Stay in Florence Inn.
Day 2: LEH
Fly to Leh (3,500m) on a breathtaking flight across the Himalayas. Stay at Hotel Kanglachen for three nights.
Days 3 & 4: LEH - INDUS VALLEY
Tour the magnificent Indus Valley gompas of Shey, Tikse & Hemis. Tikse is a good place to watch religious ceremonies which are preceded by the playing of large standing drums and long horns. There is also optional white-water rafting - highly recommended.
Day 5: TREK TO HEMIS SHUKPACHEN
Drive to Yangtang from where you make a short 2 and a half hour trek to the village of Hemis Shukpachen. Here you stay with a family in a traditional Ladakhi home. The rooms are simple but clean and quite comfortable with lovely views of the mountains. Stay in Lung Guesthouse.
Day 6: TREK TO THEMISGAAM
Trek for about 5 hours via the village of Ang to Themisgaam and stay in Namra Hotel, a small but comfortable hotel.
Day 7: TREK TO ALCHI
After a morning trek, drive in a jeep to Lamayuru Monastery for sightseeing. Lamayuru is one of the most famous and spectacular gompas in Ladakh, perched on a steep cliff overlooking a strange and alien land formation called 'moonlandscape'. The night is spent in Zimskhang Hotel in Alchi.
Day 8: RETURN TO LEH
The hotel in Alchi is a 5 minute walk from the famous 12th century Alchi Monastry. This monastery survived the restoration of the 16th century and still has the original paintings in Kashmiri style. After visiting the monastery you return to Leh. Stay at Hotel Kanglachen.
Day 9: LEH TO MANALI HIGHWAY
Drive along the legendary Leh to Manali highway (the world's second highest!) with unsurpassed views along the way. You stop for the night in Jispa. Stay at Hotel Ibex.
Day 10: MANALI
Continue to the hill-station of Manali, one of the most scenic areas of Himachal Pradesh. The scenery is stunning - snowcapped peaks tower above green hills that are carpeted with pine forest and fruit orchards. Stay at Hotel Mayflower for two nights.
Day 11: MANALI
Full day at leisure. This area is ideal for easy hikes with stunning views or you can explore the town with its many Tibetan shops.
Days 12 & 13: DHARAMSALA
Travel to the hill-station of Dharamsala in a spectacular mountain setting perched on the slopes of the Kangra Valley. Dharamsala is home to the Dalai Lama and the Tibetan Government in exile. Their settlement at Mcleod Ganj is a colourful example of Tibetan culture with many brightly coloured prayer flags and temples. Stay at Chonor House for two nights.
Day 14: AMRITSAR
Travel to Amritsar, the sacred capital of Punjab. Stay at Ritz Plaza.
Day 15: DELHI
Morning visit to the exquisite Golden Temple, one of the most impressive temples in India and the holiest site for Sikhs. Evening express train to Delhi. Stay at Florence Inn.
Day 16: DELHI
Tour ends. Transfer to Delhi airport to connect with your onward travel.
Fact Finder for this Tour
- Experience remote India with a preserved Buddhist religion and culture
- Trek through the Indus Valley past ancient monasteries and historic villages
- Enjoy contrasting landscapes of barren plains, lush valleys and snow peaks
- Take a spectacular flight over the Indian Himalayas to the high capital of Leh
- Visit sacred Amritsar and the Dalai Lama's headquarters at Dharamsala
Daily from Delhi
The best time is end-June to mid-September. The rest of the year passes are closed due to snow fall.
From 2172 USD per person - based on 2 people sharing
- Accommodation on twin share basis at selected hotels
- Stay on bed & breakfast basis; full board at during trek and at Jispa
- Day train by air-conditioned `chair car' from Amritsar to Delhi
- English-speaking local guide for tour of Leh, Indus Valley, and Amritsar
- English-speaking local guide and back-up staff for Ladakh trek
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle with private chauffeur
- All transfers as per the itinerary
Tour price excludes
- International flights
- Domestic flight Delhi to Leh
- Entrance fees to historical monuments